Saturday 14 September 2024

Ship yards of York (6)—Filler, rant and planning for Tuesday's test game

Filler

I have not done much with the ships lately. A visit to Adelaide for me old Ma's 90th late last week, seeing sis', bro' and other family, then developing a bit of a lurgy for the first few days of this week has kept me out of my wargame shed. I got back to it yesterday and in doing so had an epiphany.

I think that I am at 'peak figures'.

Of course, even I am not this silly. I cannot recall whose blog I originally got this from. The link with the download file just has a generic blogspot address. Please let me know if you know. Most of the others have a similar 'provenance'.

Yes, that's right, it is my turn to say to myself that I have enough figures. Cue laughing, rolling of eyes and broad smirks. Still, not only is it true, but I think that I may even have realised it is.

I have not been like you other, sensible wargamers/bloggers out there who only buy a few figures at a time and try to paint them all, or at least most of them, before the next lot are added to the collection. Having been a bit restrained—but only a bit—for the first 50 years of my life, I have gone absolutely ballistic in the last 8–9, especially 2020*–2023 (I double-checked my records and I began going 'mad' in 2019). I don't have thousands of figures, I have tens of thousands. About 10% are painted to completion, probably another 5% in some stage towards that ultimate aim.


Of course, even I am not so naïve as to think that I am gonna stop purchasing figures.

I have the ships that Keith made me buy (you are all witnesses). These are on the way to me now—and I am really looking forward to them arriving. Then there will be around 400 or so Austrian Hungarian infantry that will be coming my way once Hat have shipped them to my 'supplier'. There a few early 18thC infantry in firing poses that Strelets are planning to release soon—despite the serious, existential challenges that they face in Ukraine. After that though, I reckon I may actually exhibit restraint and consider deeply before making any further purchases. Only something new and really special. And then only in small numbers.


I'll revisit this in a year or so, shall I?!!

Rant

One of the great things about getting older is the imprimatur to have a rant. Not strictly imprimatur, just a rolling of eyes and 'here goes the old man...'. In fact, this may not be new to me since I was given a 'soap box' as a funny, work, Chrissy-pressie one year. I was in my thirties. Not that I ranted then. I had important ideas to convey to others. All based on substantiated information. Plus the odd opinion.

Anyway, this rant is not even mine! It is Julian's. I just happen to agree and to have found myself agreeing more since he made it.

When did people begin to refer to wargame's rules as 'the game'?

So, rather than play a game of <<insert period>> with <<rules>> it seems to be increasingly referred to the game of <<rules>>.

What?! The rules are merely part of the game. In wargaming, especially historical stuff, the aim, is to have some semblance of an historical representation. The eternal quest is to find a set of rules that does this in a manner that is representative, enjoyable and playable. The 'game' involves the figures, terrain, opponents (or solo), cards/dice/no-dice, scale, scenario... oh yeah, and some set of rules that you have both/all decided to use for the purpose.

Of course, it is purely language and terminology and a tongue-in-cheek rant, but there is a bit of annoyance there...! 😁 

Preparation for test game of 'Action Under Sail'

I have made a bit of progress with the boating escapade.

Julian is available, so we are gonna have a test game on Tuesday using the rules 'Action Under Sail'. Or should I say, play a game of 'Action Under Sail', grrrrr!!!!

I have the second edition of the rules, circa 1977. Written by S. Birnie, they first came out in 1976. There was a third edition in 1984 and a fourth in 1993. I have seen extracts and reviews of the first and later editions and think that, for me, the second edition is the 'sweet spot'.

Julian gave them to me with a load of sets of rules for Napoleonic naval that he had decided he would not use. I just happened to flick through them after our test-game and rejection of 'It's Warm Work' and became more and more interested the more that I read. I then worked through some of the mechanics and really liked them.

They are detailed and involve calculations that are not 'de rigeur' for current wargames rules.

I think I got this beauty from Gary's Sgt Steiner blog.

Movement is simultaneous. Ships operate under broad 'fleet orders' and also have individual orders for each ship. The latter are noted simply using arrows, code letters (direction, tacking, loading broadsides) and numbers (for speed and distance of turning/wearing). The main classes of ships have a maximum speed for three strengths of wind (light, fresh and gale) according to one of three positions to the wind (aft, quartering and bow). Ships may speed up or slow down a given amount in a single turn, but not above the maximum (this is not stated directly, an example that Mr Birnie expects players to have common-sense and a spirit of playing). There are three classes of crew èlite, average and raw. Ships with èlite crews can sail closer to the wind (up to 45º), while the others can only get within 60º. Turning through the wind is a three-step process. There are rules for storms, gales, rowing and other such events that I have only skimmed so far.


Broadsides need to be loaded (and noted), with different load times required for single, double and triple shot, better crews doing the job faster. Each ships has a gunnery factor and, if present, a carronade factor. Examples are given for classes of ship, but the calculation is provided and straightforward—a third of the sum product of number and weight of guns divided by number of guns. The 'fudge factor' of 1/3 is included as the guns are divided into batteries of 3 guns (halves rounded up). Firing is then 'simply' gunnery factor + tactical factors + random factor multiplied by number of batteries in the broadside to give 'total damage points inflicted' (TDPI). The TDPI is compared with the defence value for the targeted area, hull or rigging, and damage is inflicted. Or not. Crew casualties also result.


Casualties to crew and levels of damage may result in a morale test for the crew. Damage to rigging leads to fallen sections or masts. Firing at the hull has a chance for further damage: rudder, wheel, lower mast, explosion.

I have not read the boarding rules in detail, but a proportion of the crew have muskets (usually solely the marines) and can be involved in such 'business'. There is also running aground, mooring, involvement with shore batteries, landing parties, but I have not bothered to read it all yet.



I was gonna simply begin with the first action of my 'going through all the naval actions of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars', but Julian had the good suggestion of using the same scenario that he devised for testing 'It's Warm Work'. Perfect. We'll have several ships, different sizes and armament, command and all that good stuff.

I knocked up this sheet to record orders, speed, loaded broadsides and damage. It is based on the example in the rules, plus a few more aspects added to make it, hopefully, an all in one.

Hopefully they will go as well as I envisage and the reason for Julian dismissing them—too detailed for a large, multi-player game—will not be a problem.

The English ships in the foreground are good enough to go. I'll add rigging if I get time, but need to focus on the Spanish ones at left rear, which have a bit more colour added since I took this photo yesterday arvo'.

18 comments:

  1. I reached 'peak figures' last year and know exactly where you are coming from James. It reached the stage where new purchases ceased to be a pleasure and were just adding to the stress of not knowing when I would get around to them. The new rules sounds relatively straightforward so I will look forward to your thoughts after you have had a chance to put them into practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, that's a really astute and pertinent comment. I mirror your observation/feelings. Not 'no pleasure' in purchasing the figures, but now that I have nearly everything I could want for my megalomania various, there is less excitement in getting a few more to fill the few 'gaps'. Plus the sensible voice that says, IF you can paint all these, worry about it then. Plus, what's the problem with a bit of improvisation with figures with an earlier uniform (or even from a different period, if it come to it)? A wargames table is all about a representation, after all.
      Unlike with the ships as they are a 'new' thing and much more limited.
      The joy and excitement comes back once I get down to preparing and painting the figures, so more of that and less adding to an unassailable 'mountain', hey?!!
      Talk about an ultimate 'first world problem'! :)

      Delete
  2. Very enjoyable post, James, and a very good rant as well! Your ASL advert had me laughing.

    The notion of reaching "peak figure count" is an interesting concept. Like you and Lawrence, I have many, many more figures than I can reasonably expect to paint in this lifetime. Does it stop me from buying more but I am trying to cut down.

    Has my collecting reached a point of diminishing marginal utility as it has for Lawrence? Well, yes, I think it has but I rarely encounter a period I did not enjoy collecting and dreaming about refighting battle on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comment Jonathan.
      I am definitely at 'peak periods'. *They* expanded over the same time too. I now probably have at least two too many, but I am not ready to part with the figures. They are the smallest numbers of figures too, so not really significant in terms of storage space, cost (at the time) and effort to paint if/when I get to them.

      Delete
  3. I am with Jon, in fact I may even be subconsciously (not very, because I am thinking and talking about it here) buying now what I think I might need in the hopefully next twenty years or more, because once I retire, I doubt I will be spending much at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, spending does not stop with retirement. Take it from me!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a threat, doesn't it Keith? Haha!
      Part of my madness was driven by what you say Keith. Grab it while you have the wherewithal and also while figures are available as they go out of production/production runs. Now it is time to use the d@mned things! :)

      Delete
  4. I always think that when I have tens of thousands of unpainted miniatures that instead of buying more miniatures I would send them out to be painted by someone else.
    Then I’ll still be able to get the sense of buying’ something. I haven’t put it into practice yet obviously.
    Good luck with the big naval battle. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love ya Stew, you can always be relied upon to have a novel (and witty) way to look at the 'problem'! Still chuckling away here...

      Delete
  5. Interesting, if scary, thoughts and comments James. I don’t feel anywhere near peak figures. Maybe it’s because my collection is relatively modest in number (and scale).
    As you know, I’ve recently bought some more SYW toys, most of which ended up in white coats again. Madness you might think - why can’t I use Austrians and French as Spanish etc? I can but I still find it satisfying to paint them up.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say that for a minute Chris. *I* would certainly not use French as Spanish as Austrians either! Especially if I could paint them as well as you do.
      My level of kleptomania is to have Austrians in kaskets, helmets and shakos all for Napoleonics. My 're-using' will come to tolerate some helmets in 1813–14 :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I have Napoleonic Austrians in kasquet, helmet, and shako. It is a bit of period OCD!

      Delete
    3. Well, for Napoleonics, you just HAVE to have the 3 different sub-periods of uniforms. I'm a big fan of those kaskets. Minifigs mistakenly had 'Hungarian' infantry in them, but they're post SYW.

      Delete
    4. Ha, ha, HAVE for sure Chris. There's the added 'excuse' that they carried over/over-lapped beyond the official change-over as they were replaced slowly. So, plenty of kaskets in 1800, all in raupenhelms in 1805 and still plenty in 1809 (for the 'German' regts) and then all shakos by 1812–14.

      Delete
  6. Good post, I tend to have bursts
    Best Iain of purchases rather than continually, I've also got all my Napoleonic French virtually all assembled and primed, just one twenty four figure infantry unit and maybe four artillery pieces and crew, the Austrians and Confederation of the Rhine are a bit further off but all doable, and in spite of my Austrians being in helmets I shall use them for 1813! Once they're all done I can assess whether I can do Prussians or Duchy of Warsaw, Bavarians or Spanish, probably not all! I've really painted enough Great Italian Wars figures but I'm still doing it and building both sides for 100 years war, again plus dark ages , ancients, ECW and WW2, what I'm not doing is buying much of anything, the only real probability is the Napoleonic expansion but I have to finish what's on my Napoleonic plate first before I'm rewarded with a new army! Love the illustrations by the way!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire greatly your organisation, and especially your rate of output—not to mention how beautifully you paint Iain!

      Delete
  7. That was a long and busy post James? Personally I don't count how much I spend and spend what I want!
    I hope my Mrs doesn't read this.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it Ray!
      You are completely safe. Only you, me and a couple of others look at this...

      Delete