Thursday 22 June 2023

Muck and mystery in the Imaginations campaign

The Death of Caesar, Janssens
(Wikimedia Commons)
Caesar has been murdered! Or so it seems.

Having introduced my part in the Imaginations Campaign in the last post, it is time to bring you up to date with recent developments.

Oh, and haven't there been some developments...

Fortunately for us, ever the note-taker, 'our man' Jacob of Bayerische has recorded events and details, as they are known, and his reactions to them.

So, once again we'll turn to him for the story.

 

Having been the ruler of our nation for a year I am deemed to have served my apprenticeship and, in the Bayerische tradition, can assume the title of König.

This should be a time for celebration, reflection and looking ahead, but such feelings have been tempered by recent, dastardly events.

Back in early March, there was a call for nominations for Kaiser des Reiches. I am a strong believer in the Empire as a model institution, an historic, voluntary grouping of like-minded nations, so I put in my oar as a candidate for the election of our next Kaiser.

The first vote, held on 25th March 1803, was a close call. There was a three-way tie between Frederick Franz, The Elector of Kaiserliche, Emil, Prince Elector of Hesse and Jacob I Kurfürst of Bayerische.

This lead to a second ballot of the Electors, held on 1st April. The votes came out in favour of Franz-Ferdinand. His coronation was set for 1st May in the Kaiserliche capitol.

While I was disappointed at being overlooked, I had been privileged to be part of a process, conducted openly, democratically and without conflict that serves as a model to other, less enlightened nations.

I accepted the vote of the Electors and was readying myself to travel to the Kaiserliche capitol to be part of the joy and celebration of Franz Ferdinand’s coronation. Then I received shocking news. On 27th April, an attempt had been made on the life of the Kaiser-elect!

Since then, I have been clamouring for news, confirmation and insight into these, it would appear, tragic events. Oh tragedy and calamity; I have been told indirectly, by Kardeef Master of Dahara and more recently Fuddland's Foreign Minister, that Ferdinand has been assassinated!

Can this be true? I have sent ‘my best men’ to determine the veracity of this news and, if true, who enacted this dastardly act. They are yet to report back to me.

Not only our dear friend Franz Ferdinand, but the very institution of the Empire has been attacked. Its important, crucial position as a beacon of enlightenment for the world and as a strong rock for the one true Faith has been challenged.

This heinous crime cannot go unpunished! Once the perpetrator(s) has been determined I will be seeking redress. I would hope that this can be achieved by peaceful means and legal processes, but I, and my subjects, are prepare to fight for what is right.

This terrible news has unsettled me greatly. I have lost a friend and brother ruler in the Empire. There is a void and likely an Empire without its elected leader.

König Jacob I von Bayerische, Kurfüst des Reiches
Schloß Maximilian, Zwettei, 23rd June 1803

 

Additional

A comment from Richard below brought to mind the marvellous scene in I Clavdivs— but then they were all marvellous, weren't they?—between King Herod and Emperor Claudius:


True perhaps.

Or is it better to have trust and to be trustworthy? It certainly works better in Diplomacy the game, from my experience. We'll have to see how it plays out here and how young Jacob deals with it.

6 comments:

  1. Well this sounds like fun. But who can you trust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Herod said to Claudius: "Trust no-one my friend, no-one".
    You have inspired me to add in that clip, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun I've been reading some if these posts on Joe's blog, all that double dealing and duplicity, I'm sure you'll take to it like a duck to water! No , wait that sounds bad?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it did Iain! :) (...but I know what you meant)
      I'm getting into it and enjoying playing in 'character'!

      Delete
  4. The intrigue certainly adds a whole other dimension to the campaign. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if that dimension is added obfuscation!

      Delete