Saturday 24 June 2023

Impulse buying

Three posts in four days; I am almost up with Stew!

Although, he is posting about doing stuff, while I am just putting up a lot of text and a few piccies. Unlike the last two, this will be a 'quickie'. Like a... (see Stew's post for a relevant analogy).

I have done a bit of impulse buying.

Now I am not posting this as one of those social media 'look what I just bought/ate/drank kinda posts—I understand these occur all too often, but I wouldn't know as I don't frequent them 'platforms'—it's 'cause this book might be of interest to other's who are 'students' of the Napoleonic period (taking the widest span for that epoch).

I received an email today from Naval & Military Press promoting this little beauty. A quick look at the information and previews on their website and I was in! Around $60 (including postage by surface mail) for a hardback version that comprises 164 pages, 71 full colour uniform plates and an index and commentary in English, seemed like a good buy to me.

There are few volumes about the uniforms of the Russian army of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic period. Certainly in English. Even fewer about the marvellous uniforms of the Potemkin reforms (1786–1796) and fewer still from the reign of Paul I (1796–1801).

The previews seem to show mainly Potemkin uniforms. There are no dates on the list of plates that is provided by Naval & Military Press in their information about the book, but I am hoping that quite a few will be of those under Paul I.

Not from this book, but detail of Knotel's representation of the Russian Potemkin uniform showing jägers, musketeers and a drummer (Wikimedia Commons).

Information about the uniforms of the latter period, which the Russian army wore in Suvorov's campaign in Italy and Switzerland, is particularly sparse and confused. Several sources indicate that they were a 'back to the future', Seven Year's War-style. While inspired by that, they were a version from the latter stages of that period, which the Prussians did not adopt, and using pretty crappy material, from what I have read.

There's a description of them in Duffy's marvellous Eagles Over the Alps, along with a few plates (but in black and white), and it does not provide sufficient detail. Viskovatov's Historical Description of the Clothing and Uniforms of the Russian Army for the period 1796–1801 (I have Mark Conrad's translation from his website and as an ebook) is limited to organisation and the plates show a more Frederickian-type uniform. The best information about the uniforms of Suvorov's army in the alpine campaign is on the website Швейцарский поход (the "Swiss campaign"), which has an in-built English language translation.

Regardless of the range of the types of uniform shown in the plates in the book, I am sure that I am gonna enjoy it and find it really useful. I'll have to wait until it arrives, in a month or three.

14 comments:

  1. You certainly seem to be on a bit of a posting run at the moment James! Looks like a nice book although not an army I am particularly interested in, in this period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impulse buy? I chock it up to furthering your research. Looks interesting but I am much more interested in Suvorov's Italian and Swiss Campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always need new books James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing what others are buying as it is a great way to find out about new products. The Russian army of this period had some great uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reading and commenting Keith, Jonathan, Ray and Lawrence—clearly books are a big part of the hobby for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library is Deep and Wide. I am sure others are no different.

      Delete
    2. Too true Jonathan, the double of collecting books and figures is all too common in our hobby.
      My 'library' is more deep than wide. There is a preponderance of books related to topics Napoleonic!

      Delete
  6. LOLs, I'm not the one you're thinking of; even if I am crushing it I'll only have a post every 10 days or so. It's those OTHER blogs that post like 3 times a week. I'm not that good. or that interesting.
    But I appreciate the mention and link.

    As I understand it; Naps players take their uniforms VERY seriously so then a book like this seems like a necessary investment; scooped up when the opportunity presented itself. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno Stew. Just cause you 'space cadets' make it all up. It's not over-serious, but perfectly logical that we can't stand to use figures that don't have the correct regiment number on the buttons...
      It takes all types.
      For me I just like books with lots of piccies of colourful uniforms. Although, I try to get things as correct as I can within limits of ability (the greatest limitation), scale and resources. I enjoy going through all the refs that I have to check a piece of uniform colour or some detail that I will be able to paint (maybe). Trouble is my figures never look anywhere near as good as the artist's impressions. #Sigh#.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for a post with useful links. Happy reading... though I suspect that most books in most collections are for reference and dipping in than cover to cover reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, particularly with 'picture books', which are my favourite kind!

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking book but I will resist as I am in danger of filling my bookshelves or have in fact filled and need a good reorganisation to squeeze everything in! I'm sure you will enjoy it enormously!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and good to hear of self-control.
      I have wood to build another book case! :)

      Delete
  9. Interesting book with nice ilustrations about the russian army clothes. I think they has too more warm clothes, not only the pictures, in that days. Because the russian temperatura are so cold.

    ReplyDelete