Wednesday 5 May 2021

Napoleon 200 2021: vingt-et-un Napoleons (1) La Mort de Napoleon

For some time I have had in mind to produce a range of representations of Napoleon, some as command bases and others as vignettes. Since we are in 2021, the very last of the Napoleonic bicentennial years, I have the impetus to make it happen.

Each of my representations will be based on or inspired by a famous painting.

On this two hundredth anniversary of the death of the Great Man, I have begun at the end with La Mort de Napoleon. This is inspired by the painting by Jean-Baptiste Mauzaisse of Napoleon on his death-bed, one hour before his burial.

Napoleon sur son lit de mort une heure avant son ensevelissement, by Jean-Baptiste Mauzaisse

My version of same.

I am not much of a modeller, but enjoy 'having a go' with the materials that I have to hand. In this case Napoleon's upper body, head and arms are from a Strelets figure (nominally of Joseph, but which, naturally, can easily be either he or Napoleon) while his legs I made from Das modelling clay. Marchand was created using one of the figures from the Imex Stagecoach set and the priest using the body of the lady from the same set (Das clay making up the rest of both of them). The bed was a matchstick and cardboard frame with liberal addition of Das clay.

I am happy enough with how it turned out—although my version of Marchand looks like he belongs on the set of Saturday Night Fever! I considered adding a frame and canopy to the bed, but was not sure how I would do it (and was worried how it might look), plus it meant extra effort for not much benefit and likely detraction. In the end I was swayed by a simpler version which better matched the painting.

So, that's one down and twenty to go.

The next twenty will be in a chronological order, beginning with 1796. Some years will get multiple representations while others won't have any. I want to get them all done this year and with 34 weeks remaining, I can't muck around.

I am pretty confident that I'll get them done as the next three are well underway and four of the later ones are completed or very nearly so.

The next three Napoleons 3/4 done
 

Once completed these representations will be invaluable for my long-term focus on the quasquibicentennial / vigbicentennial (225th and 220th anniversaries) of campaigns from 1796 to 1815, which began this year.

Sites of interest

1. The wonderful website of the Foundation Napoleon (napoleon.org) has a page entitled La Mort de Napoleon that is packed with links to articles and images (including the painting above).

They also have numerous events and articles for 2021 Année Napoléon.

2. Shannon Selin's blog on her website 'Imaging the bounds of history' is packed with thoughtfully produced articles about the Napoleonic era. I cannot recommend it too highly.

Her 'back catalogue' features several posts related to Napoleon's death including:

What were Napoleon’s last words?

How was Napoleon’s death reported?

20 comments:

  1. Good start to an ambitious project. I will be keen to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Hopefully it will be worth following!

      Delete
  2. Nifty and clever bit of conversion work, James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work James - it will be fun to follow your progress on this project. You may be interested in this article - my local small town (12,000 pop) museum has a copy of Napoleons death mask...https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/napoleon-death-mask-display-scottish-museum-1502204

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That an interesting piece Keith. The signature of Antommarchi would be amongst the keys to its authenticity! I presume that you mean its in your original village in Scotland, rather than one from NZ made a trip to Scotland for the bicentennial of Waterloo?! :)

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done James. One of my favourite Napoleons is the Borodino one with his foot up on a drum, but your camel diorama is especially eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence.
      That is one of the ones that I have nearly complete. I did it for a bicentennial game of Borodino in 2012. It was 3/4 completed then and remains so. You can see it here:
      https://avonnapoleonicfellowship.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-most-terrible-of-all-my-battles.html (second photo in that report).

      Delete
  5. C'est magnifique!

    The challenge is to move these lovely vignettes to the table top and use them in action.

    Cheers

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark.
      Twelve of them are primarily intended to be for some kind of tabletop use. Another four or so could be used in some circumstances. The others are more purely for my interest and enjoyment!

      Delete
  6. Vive le vingt et un vignettes!
    You're off to a great start already, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter.
      I intend to paint parts of the figures that I have on the go at the same time.

      Delete
  7. Splendid start to an interesting project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very much appreciate the resource list here, and the vignette is marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Markus. Pleased that the links were useful.

      Delete
  9. A very sombre scene. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. Looks With my all too average modelling it looks like he's on a slab rather than a bed, doesn't it?!

      Delete
  10. Evocative and wonderful vignette, great job!

    ReplyDelete