Wednesday 24 February 2021

The joy of randomness

I generally get a buzz from serendipitous events or opportunities.

The plastic figure manufacturer Hät from time to time run a 'random sprue' sale. These are to clear out sprues that they have 'lying around', presumably because they are insufficient for a set, have a figure or more missing, some breakage or perhaps were test versions. If one is interested, all that is needed is to nominate the weight of sprues desired (they sell them by the US pound) and any preference for scale and/or period(s). The former can be guaranteed, while the latter they will fulfil as far as possible.

I eagerly jumped at the latest offering, asking for a pound each of 1/72 and 1/32 and "Napoleonic if possible". The box arrived today and they are a perfect mix for me.

Random sprues: a useful pile of assorted goodies 

All but five of them are Napoleonic. Those five (ancient, First World War) are all immediately of interest to me. I was particularly pleased to get a full sprue from set no. 8111 WWI Canadian Infantry (or so I thought). This is a set of figures that I have been wanting to get hold of, but that is currently out of production. I was even more pleased when I realised that it was actually not a sprue from the set, per se, but a test sprue and so had a lot of heavy weapons in addition to the infantry. They are gonna be great for my journey into the First World War + 105.

The Napoleonic specimens, in both scales will be really, really useful. There are French, late Prussians, Russians, mid-late Austrians, Brunswickers, Dutch-Belgians and British amongst the 1/72 and French, Prussians and Württembergers in the 1/32.

They will all be perfect to swell the numbers for certain units and/or to provide extra figures to use as markers or on bases that have taken casualties (i.e. with fewer figures on them). I like to do this as I then simply swap a full base with a part base to represent casualties, rather than remove figures—cutting them off the base always seems so brutal and results in a heap of repair and repainting.

All in all, a box full of random joy and future utility.

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting haul, James. Didn't know they offered this kind of thing. I may have to try out their 1/32 someday - just for variety-sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I have a lot of hat & a few of other brands 1/72 , Napoleon and Punic War. Email me if you want to follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn’t aware of this. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for flagging it up James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. How much did they charge, and was postage reasonable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, I do miss the old 1/72nd figures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for dropping by and taking the time to comment.
    The sprues were US$11 each, postage US$30. The total converted to around AU$73. I reckon that I got about AU$179 or so worth of sprues (using as new, but old prices), so a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I have not owned any plastic 1/72 figures for over forty years, that seems like a very good deal from Hat....pity the Perrys or Warlord didn't do something similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do it from time to time. I have 'joined in' three times; 2013, 2014 and now 2021.
      Perhaps you can make strong suggestions to those manufacturers? A bit of 'pump priming' may work!

      Delete
  8. QA nice and varied haul, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While of a different material, I know that you too are a sucker for... I mean enjoy a good haul Peter! :)

      Delete
  9. A very nice and varied collection at a good price,who could ask for more!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Iain. It ticked all those boxes!

      Delete