Tuesday 27 October 2020

First world problem

When I began blogging, back in the day (2010) it immediately became an enjoyable part of the hobby for me. Equally and increasingly, I came to enjoy reading and looking at other blogs with a wargaming/figure painting/amateur history type of bent. Initially I limited myself to 'follow' those blogs with a focus on Napoleonics or at least a lot of content related to the period. Progressively, and in recent times, exponentially, I have expanded the range and number of blogs that I follow. It is now up to some 359.

 

Hence the title of this post #. I am having trouble keeping up!

(# Unlike many, many words and expressions that are adopted by business, commentators and the public, 'first world problem' is not in my list of the 20 number 1 expressions that I hate. To me it is a modern version of 'poor little rich kid', but I particularly like it as it is self-effacing and a reminder to have a little perspective.)

This is not purely due to the number of interesting blogs that I am trying to follow. I don't know whether it is a factor of many bloggers having more time at home, but some of you are posting several times a week and I need you all to slow down. I could make this 'following' thing a full time job and I do need to get some work done!

All jests aside, I really enjoy the range of content and particularly the excellent photos that people take and post. Besides which, those with a lot of pictures are easier to follow!

Keep it up and long may you all enjoy your hobby and blogging.


Here is a list of the (current) top 20^ number 1 expressions that I hate (in no particular order)

1. Elephant in the room
1. Back in the day
1. Sounds like a plan
1. Like
1. Élite (the best example of this was a sports commentator speaking of ‘élite communication’ on the footy field)
1. Park that
1. Issues board
1. Workshopping
1.Correct
1. At the end of the day
1. Punches above its/his/her weight
1. It is what it is
1. Agile
1. Move forward
1. Take home message
1. Artisan (as in artisan toast)
1. Organic (when it has nothing to do with carbon-based molecules/lifeforms)
1. Evolve organically
1. Not Robinson Crusoe
1. Fake news

(^rapidly expanding to 100: new normal, unprecedented... probably should be in the top 20)

Actually, I do have a number one: elephant in the room. If there *was* an elephant in the room I reckon that I, at least, would point it out. Quite effusively, in fact. I was shocked, surprised and saddened to learn that the origin of this is not 21stC business but likely from Dostoevsky referring to a fable "The Inquisitive Man" written by Ivan Krylov in 1814. Of course, it was not over-used, back in the day.

10 comments:

  1. I also follow loads of blogs, at one point a couple of years ago I unfollowed them all and quit blogging for a while.
    When I started again I found I had a renewed enthusiasm and now follow almost as many as I did. Many of them are new to me like your blogs are.

    The expressions that irritate me the most are "humbling" and "on a journey".
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Paul,
      Thank you for following the blogs (I hope that the content is of some interest) and for commenting.
      I find more interesting blogs from other's lists. Added a further 19 today! I have not yet looked through the lists on your blogs. Oh-oh, more first world problems on the way for me! :)
      Yes, those two terms are definitely on my list!
      Regards, James

      Delete
  2. I find I spend far more time commenting on blogs than I do forums, but feel a deeper sense of obligation to reply to people that make the effort to comment which is not always easy when pressed for time due to other commitments.

    "Reach out" and "deep dive" are two that really annoy me. The people reaching out are invariably clawing at me for something, whereas those wanting to take a deep dive are usually the last I'd ever want to see in a swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes Lawrence; those are two of the 'worst ever in the history of communication'!
      Yes, completely agree on both counts. Viewing blogs is an enjoyable, often amusing and always edifying experience. Fora are generally the same, but are marred by trolls and/or smart-alecs who are so certain about history and facts that they know more than historians (collectively) and do not let any of that silly evidence stuff get in their way!
      Yours is one of the blogs that I enjoy, thank you.
      Back on theme: continue to innovate in the blogging space for the benefit of the community of wargamers.
      Regards, James

      Delete
  3. Good points, I think I'm probably guilty of using a couple of these now and again! I like the lead adventure forum, most people on it are well behaved and pleasant, I do like the conversation element of commenting on individual blogs though, which tends to get lost in a forum.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I'll forgive you your transgressions my son, since you have such a fine blog! :)

      Delete
  4. James, you present a fine compilation of corporate management jargon among your list. Really, there are too many to even document. My list of ‘fingers on chalkboard’ phrases include, ‘show stopper’ and ‘on boarding’ to name just two. Today’s generation may not even be familiar with what the sound of fingers on a chalkboard evokes! In remote meetings with management, we occasionally played Buzzword Bingo as corporate jargon spewed from the Oracles...

    It is, indeed, tough to keep up with all of the interesting blogs. As an example, I only found yours today from a link on Lawrence's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. That is two more for my ever-expanding list :). Buzz-word bingo is great, isn't it? The real trouble is that people who use these terms frequently are completely unaware of how they are butchering the language and even introducing a fair degree of obfuscation. 'Issues' is a common example. It is a great way of saying absolutely nothing specific!
      I know that you too are a 'serial blog follower' as I often find myself 'following' you around the blogs—and agreeing with your comment!
      You were always a frequent in leaving comments on the old blog. Hopefully you'll find these new ones worth checking out too. They allow me to separate my main, Napoleonic interests from the broad mix of 'the rest'.

      Delete
  5. I follow a lot fewer blogs but still find it hard to keep up. On my own blog, I aim to post every 3-4 days, as long as I have something to say/show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a big part of my *problem* Peter, as your posts are *always* worthwhile!! :)

      Delete