Sunday, 4 October 2026

More of "Keith's ships"

The recent re-fight of Trafalgar lead me to re-visit my age of sail ships and to look at those that I have against my orders of battle for the larger actions. This resulted in me ordering some more!


I was going to ‘re-flag’ some of my larger ships so as to have enough Spanish first rates for Cape St Vincent (six 112-gun first rates and Santisima Trinidad were present), and enough French first rates and English second rates for Glorious 1st June/13 prairial (three 110/120-gun and four 98-gun respectively were present). Then I considered the Nile and how it would be good to represent the French ships with furled sails (at least initially). Forged in Battle produce them in a Battle of the Nile pack. They also do dismasted Danish ships for Copenhagen.

Not wishing to buy entire packs, I was going to enquire whether it was possible to get one-offs/part packs when I saw, on their home page a note that:

Should you wish to top up Armies/Units with a few more models or miniatures than a standard pack allows. We manufacture our own figures here at HQ and are more than happy to accommodate customer top ups. [...] ...at the time of ordering, simply state your additional requirements in the 'customer comments' box at Checkout stage.

So I ordered the Copenhagen pack, the French ships with furled sails from the Nile pack, two 1st/2nd rates (to become English 98s) and three large first rates (as another French 110-gun and two more Spanish 112-gun first rates).

Plenty of 'extras' here that will be useful for other battles/games.

I have enough English third rates, so only ordered the French ships with furled sails from this pack.

Being able to specify what I wanted I purchased two of these rather than a 'squadron pack'.

I have two of the large 1st rates from the Trafalgar pack (pictured above), so ordered three more to make up numbers.

In addition to representing the Nile and Copenhagen, those French and Danish ships will get re-purposed to represent damaged ships. I’ll probably need to scratch-build a few more, but it gives me a good start.

Writing this post I realised, amazingly, that I managed to miscount (😳); I 'need' another three Spanish 112-gun first rates. No matter, I will either re-purpose a Spanish 80-gun (least good option), re-flag a French first rate (reasonable option) or, more likely, scratch-build a sixth Spanish 112-gun first rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment