Sunday, 30 August 2026

Trafalgar Set

It took many more hours today than expected (surprise, surprise), but everything is now in much more sensible locations, better organised and with sticky labels (albeit temporary) so I can find them more readily. This completed, it was time to turn my attention to adjusting the positions of the fleets.

Looking from the south, combined fleet to the right, English to the left. Taking these photos when I finished tonight gave that appropriate, gloomy look.

From the north, so English ships at right this time. Royal Sovereign (more or less centre of table and the closest to the combined fleet) is six turns from contact, reaching under a very light wind, or three to long range firing.

View from behind the English columns with their 'prey' in the distance.

View from behind Collingwood's lee column...

and Nelson's windward one.

From the van squadron of the combined fleet. This was originally the rear squadron before Villeneuve turned the fleet around and headed back towards Cadiz. No wonder Napoleon was so critical.

Lastly, looking at the centre squadron. Santisima Trinidad clearly evident, Bucentaure behind her.

For Ray, Jon, Chris, Lawrence and any others who have reorganised recently: this is what a pile of boxes look like on the back of my Hilux, waiting for me to flatten and take to recycling. A few were empty ones that I was hanging on to, for justin', but most contained figures and things that now have a far better home.


12 comments:

  1. That is coming together nicely James. I got rid of a few of my empty boxes that had been sitting around unused for years and of course, as soon as I did, needed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, but I am gonna resist the temptation to keep some for justin' (case). There are a few extra shoe boxes that I did not chuck on the pile for recycling.

      Delete
  2. An impressive looking setup with all those ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It is great fun to be able to look at it every time I go to my shed.

      Delete
  3. Wow - that Trafalgar set up looks fantastic James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. All those sails and masts exaggerate the effect really well, I think. There appear to be 'fousands of them!

      Delete
  5. My God man, that’s an outstanding sight to behold. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I am knocking up a few markers for the game next week.

      Delete
  6. Looks amazing. I loved the photo from Collingwood's view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard. I had fun taking those photos!

      Delete