Saturday, 29 August 2026

Preparing for Trafalgar

My next post was to have been about painted figures, but then I decided to re-organise my room.


Something that I thought would take 'a couple of days'... did not. I had too many figures stuffed (mainly placed) into assorted boxes. It was taking me 'ages' to find some figures that I wanted to paint and I wanted things in more 'permanent' locations. I bought some additional storage drawers, but could also use space more efficiently.

'Everything' came out of hidey-holes and onto the table, so it got worse before it got better.

Then, I had a mad rush on Tuesday to 'find' the table' so that Julian and I could set up 'his' Trafalgar on Wednesday. I write 'his' as it is out of the chronology for me and is his game, his ships, his rules (my room).

We had rain coming on Wednesday night/Thursday after Julian and I had set this up so it has a suitably ‘foreboding’ look on my Pro Hart-style ocean sheets.

We had a great time setting it up. Julian described it beautifully:

Never in the field of the recreation of human conflict was so much eventually achieved by two frequently confused people in the setting up of a large naval wargame :)

We are looking forward to the game immensely, a multi-player affair set for 10th or 11th this inst. It's good to have time post set-up as we have realised that we set up too far apart, so will bring the closest ships to within 24”.

Table looking north. Tape set at 24". I'll move the combined fleet (at right) at bit to the left. That will be good as it will get us around the 'edge of table' problem.
I'll also bring the English columns more towards the middle. Tape in front of Royal Sovereign in the lee column, Victory leading the windward column in the distance.

In keeping with a nautical feel, I recently watched "Michiel de Ruyter" (aka "The Admiral") as my paintertainment.

A screen-shot of one of the early scenes. If you are interested, there are more on the page about the film on IMDB.


I was not impressed when I watched the preview. It's circa 2015 and looked as though it suffered from the disease of modern films of needing to have things blow up. I decided to give it a go anyway and was so pleased that I did. The ships are magnificent, the scenes of the battles super well done. De Ruyter is a fine fellow with dignity, honour and integrity as he overcomes the perfidious English and wicked French. The Prince of Orange, Charles II and, by inference, since he does not appear, Louis XVI, are all self-serving b@stards. Well may the précis of the book published by Karwansaray note,

Was Michiel de Ruyter the greatest sea commander who ever lived? Or simply the greatest sea-commander of the 17th century?

and,

Louis XIV, often his opponent, called him 'a man who did honour to humanity'.

Second only to Yi Sun-sin perhaps? Certainly in achieving against-the-odds victory over superior enemy forces using clever and bold tactics.

Not related to anything, but I found this hilarious (c/- a post on Warhorse miniatures' website).

Lastly, a preview of some of the painted figures for a later post; to show that I am not making it all up.

Some of the troops in progress, photo taken late last month. Gyulai Freikorps and Stabsdragoner in front, Sardinian and Neapolitan cavalry behind. Just a few finishing touches required for these, along with 'a number' of others.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting finally to have this battle in immediate prospect. Now to defeat Nelson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah mon admiral, je pense que vous l’essaieriez de faire avec courage et determination!
    You'll be doing well to overcome poor sailing position, a fleet in disarray (largely thanks to you ordering it south and then turning around and heading north again), not to mention a preponderance of 'slack' crews and inept squadron commanders! Still, it's all about trying to do better than history, hey?!

    ReplyDelete