Friday 8 December 2023

Progress at no. 47

It has been a stop-start year on the hobby front, with plenty of other life interfering with ideas and grand plans. This has manifested in few posts on either blog, one sizeable game, albeit it a ripper back in April, and a smaller game of Nuts! using my 54 mm second world war figures (recorded on my other blog).

Things change and decisions are made. In my case this has resulted in more time available for hobby matters in the past couple of weeks which, combined with ideal weather, has seen me able to make made some serious progress with painting (by my standards at least).

The 'focus' is my army of the Duchy of Warsaw, starting with the cavalry and artillery.

Figures on the figurative 'work-bench'. About 380 cavalry, 22 guns and crew, a limber, a caisson, 24 infantry and 5 wagons.

Until now, progress has been slow.

It began back in July when Mitch mentioned that they were planning their next weekend game in Albany: Liebertwolkwitz using Age of Eagles**. It just so happened that Mitch's email letting me know this came when I had finished re-working my army lists for Jena-Auerstadt, Aspern-Essling, Wagram, Borodino, Leipzig and Waterloo. Looking at my information about Liebertwolkwitz (and knocking up an army list for myself from my Leipzig one), my eyes turned to the Poles, since much of the cavalry and some artillery were/are amongst the 3/4 completed figures that I have in mind/queue to complete. I asked him if he'd like me to paint some. He said that would help as he would have the Polish infantry covered, but would not get time to do the cavalry (nor artillery).

Hobby time came as a bit here and there during July to November. I spent the bits that I had preparing additional figures (particularly the extra artillery plus more for an eventual Borodino/Leipzig), basing and a little painting. I have far more figures on the go than will be needed for the game (plus some others besides), but part of the impetus for me is to have a completed Polish army (beginning with the cavalry and artillery) and to get some other, assorted units finished.

Fast forward to today and two bits of serendipity have come to my aid. Firstly, the game will not happen until early next year, giving me more time to work on figures. Secondly, the combination mentioned above has meant that I've been able to spend some solid time painting and am really close to getting all of the figures through my stage two; painting the base colours.

A closer photo of the middle section of the above photo in which you may be able to pick out Polish commanders, Poniatowski's guides, some other generals and the artillery caisson and limber.
Polish artillery, Krakus and 14th cuirassiers behind them and some non-Napoleonic figures that I also want to complete at the rear.

Polish chasseurs à cheval and some uhlans.

Polish 13th and 10th hussars with some more uhlans.

Other figures 'thrown in': Austrian Mészáros uhlans and grenz hussars and the French gendarmes d'ordnance.

[When I set-up the figures for the above photos I did not check/test lighting, so they look particularly 'blotchy'. They are not great in real life, but are better than the photos suggest.]

I am currently painting horses and hope to have all of them done by the end of the weekend. That should leave 'only' white and silver as the two (sizeable) colours remaining for my base coat. Black-washing and the all important and time-consuming last 10% will come after that.

I should be able to have the figures finished by the end of the year. We'll see what sort of an update I can post in two weeks or so!

**Appendix

It will be interesting to use Age of Eagles, given that they are a Napoleonic version of Fire and Fury and there are several key aspects of those rules that I am not particularly enamoured with; I do not detest them, just don’t think that they are marvellous like 'everyone else' seems to :). That said, I am more than happy to give Age of Eagles a go, especially since the main draw is a large game, beaut terrain and figures and getting together and sharing time with some fellas whose company I enjoy immensely!

13 comments:

  1. That’s an impressive array James, and it looks like you paint in a production line fashion.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished army.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an awe inspiring collection you have there James. I admire that production line. I think I would look at it, go pale, then have a cup of tea to brace myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very impressive army James. That would be too much for me to tackle in one batch, but you have made great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think so far, we all agree - I struggle to do more than half a dozen figures at a time, but I can sometimes do that number in one session, them do another batch the next day, so I get through them ok! This is certainly an impressive group you are working on James!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for bothering to look and especially for your encouraging comments.
    There is a bit of sleight of hand as, while they are all out and around where I paint, I only have 10–20 or so in front of me at any one time.
    I decant a paint colour (or colours in the case of horses so as to have a range and to produce mixes for variety) and like to try to use up what I have put out, so am looking for another lot of figures that need colour X. All else being equal, a painting session is determined by a number of cycles of decant, paint...
    You are all correct in your assessment that it is too much (and stupid). I am a serial offender for trying to paint too many, which is why I have so many figures that are undercoated or half–3/4 completed. I start something, a particular game requiring figures comes along, I add in those, the game comes and goes and then the next 'target' comes along, with figures in various stages of completion! Yet, I keep doing it because it sorta works for me and I have so many that I want to paint!
    Will/can it be different this time?
    I think so because I have been more sensible in the number that I have included (I resisted the temptation to include the Polish infantry, French cavalry and any of the other troops for the full battle 'while I am at it'), figures are further along in production, I have started earlier, I don't want to let the fellas down and I have put this post out to embarrass myself.
    I'll do that follow-up post in a couple of weeks or so and we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive progress, I'm also in the get it primed and then it's ready to paint at least school of thought, it does mean I have hundreds of primed figures but like you it sort of works, looking forward to your completion of the Polish contingent, I can see that figuring in the future as Perry's are working on a plastic set in 28mm and let's face it, I'm a sucker!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. It is particularly nice to know that I have at least one 'fellow traveller' with lots of figures prep'd and in various stages of completion!

      Delete
  7. Spectacular and superb pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Still chugging along to hopefully have the completed versions in a few weeks.

      Delete
  8. That is one mass of figures to paint color by color! I used to paint up to 90 x 28 mm foot at a time, but lately I usually keep it down to no more than 50 - 60 foot. I definitely do better with steady flow of newly completed units.
    I do keep a fair stock of pre-primed figures, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year.
    Good luck with getting everything ready for the big game. 😀

    ReplyDelete