Friday 3 September 2021

'Discovering' wargaming history (1) An embarrassment

Everyday I learn something new. This is not a throw-away line, but a genuine comment. A wonderful colleague of mine always asked, 'what have you learned?', instead of 'how are you going?' I have held on to this as an approach to work and life in general. There is so much new to learn about, be they snippets, details or entire new areas. Sometimes though, I am flabbergasted at learning something fundamental about which I was previously unaware in an area where I thought I had the basics covered (at least).

So it was a couple of week's ago with my discovery of a glaring gap in my knowledge of the history of wargaming and of the development of formalised rules for this activity: Kriegsspiel. Forget ya 'latest and greatest' wargame rules penned by some wargamer, it has all been done**, by a civil administrator and his son, a serving artillery officer, and then published—back in 1824.

Cover of the 1824 version of Kriegsspiel, translated by Bill Leeson

A little clarification, perhaps even defence, on my part.

I did not suddenly discover Kriegsspiel as such. I had heard of it before, having been told or read about it, chiefly in brief paragraphs of the origins of wargaming as ‘a game played by members of the Prussian officer corps’. From these descriptions I had assumed that it took a purely narrative approach with copious and constant interpretation by the gamemeister (umpire); some learned, 'god-like' figure. I even misinterpreted the 'spiel' as the English 'speech' rather than the German 'game' and did not realise that the name is spelt with two esses. What an ignoramus!

Thanks to a suggestion from Joe F (no relation) in a comment on my previous post, I purchased a copy of the original, 1824 version of Kriegsspiel from TooFatLardies. Having read it, I discovered something far more fascinating and quite different than I expected. What I had previously been made aware of was 'free' Kriegsspiel, a version from later in the 19th century in which the umpire was encouraged to make his own adjudications. In the original Kriegsspiel, the umpire sets the scenario, rolls the dice and makes the adjudications, but these are highly prescriptive and determined by detailed rules and tables.

The game, the first formalised wargame that was not a derivative of chess or cards, was originally developed by Baron von Reisswitz (snr) early in the 19th century—that's right, during the Napoleonic wars (no wonder Napoleonics are the queen, king and prince of wargaming!). Upon their learning of it in 1811, the young Prussian princes sought to have Reisswitz demonstrate the game to them. Suitably impressed, he was later (1812) summoned to show the game to King William III. "Between 1818 and 1822 the King would now and again make up a party for a game at Potsdam..." (Leeson, 'The Origins of Kriegsspiel'). The game was adapted, developed further and formalised in 1824 by von Reisswitz's son, an artillery officer and shown to the Prussian General staff following interest from General von Müffling (by then Chief of General Staff).

Think about that. We have a set of wargaming rules that was 'playtested' over 12 years by princes, the King and guests, by Prussian army officers (also exported to Russia) and recommended glowingly by von Muffling:

"Anyone who understands those things which have a bearing on leadership in battle can take part immediately in the game as a commander, even if he has no previous knowledge of the game or has never even seen it before" (Leeson, 'The Origins of Kriegsspiel').

That is, none other than an officer from the Napoleonic wars, who has risen to become Chief of General Staff can see this game as a valid and valuable simulation of leadership in battle. That's a five gold-star recommendation for me!

After reading them for the first time I was impressed, even amazed, that it had 'all been done'** back then. As I look at them in more detail and consider what aspects I'd like to adopt I am thinking, more and more, that they will form the basis for rules for my Napoleonic wargaming.

It's all in there, those factors that we consider to be the key elements of Napoleonic warfare: march rates, formations, length of columns, skirmishers, firing of small arms, canister, round shot and howitzers, 'assaults', terrain, impact of morale, orders, rallying and the importance of senior leadership (chiefly through the agency of the players). These are all covered in a direct, realistic manner, which is only natural since they were adapted and tested by serving officers of the time. In fact, ‘modern’ wargaming concepts such as strength points and a range of probablities for different effects that are uncontrollable (chiefly the impacts of firing) are in there too. The range of probabilities that von Reisswitz generated from a D6 by including various numbers of faces and outcomes is quite inspired (something that has morphed in modern rules to the use of dice of various configurations).

It's all there. Two player aids in Kriegsspiel: a card for march rates (note that these are all in paces, a 'modern' approach that makes the rules completely scaleable) shown above and a distance measuring device for the ranges of artillery of different calibres (below).


The rules are quite detailed and 'involved'. While this approach appeals to me, I fully recognise that they will not be to everyone's tastes and needs. I won't go into the system in full here, but will do a follow-up post describing key mechanics and the benefits as I see them (from the perspective of pre-play-testing).

So, having 'discovered' the real Kriegsspiel I realise that, between this and Little Wars (which I have read previously), one has the basis of all of those sets of rules of the 70s and 80s (and their more modern derivatives). For me, reading Kriegspiel is in some ways like reading Bruce Quarrie 's Napoleonic Wargaming rules again. They have generated the same level of excitement as the Quarrie rules did for a far younger self, have a lot of similar detail (though achieved more elegantly by von Reisswitz); the length of turns are even similar, being 2 1/2 minutes in Quarrie two minutes in Kriegsspiel!

Have you ever read them?

If, like me, you are ignorant of this important background in the history and development of formalised rules for wargaming I encourage you to get a copy of Kriegsspiel for yourself. At the very least, read the excellent History of Kriegsspiel under the Articles tab on the Kriegsspiel website (in references below).

Thank you very much to Joe for the suggestion, thanks to Bill Leeson (RIP) for translating the book and, most especially, thanks to Baron von Reisswitz snr and jnr for these great rules.


**I am being somewhat facetious, of course, when writing that it has 'all been done'. More recent rules, beginning with HG Wells' Little Wars, have added other aspects, less formal approaches, adaptations of scale; but the fundamentals were there at this early stage, including some remarkable game mechanics. Readers of this blog will know that a pet hate of mine is sets of 'new' wargaming rules that claim to have come to the author as if by some vision from on high, failing to acknowledge the background or sources of inspiration of rules mechanics that have been adapted (or perhaps even included almost unchanged) in their 'latest and greatest' feast for the ever hungry wargaming market. A failing (at best, outright plagiarism at worst) that I find in the vast majority of sets of rules that I care to pick up.

Don't be misled. I am one who, willingly, checks out new sets of rules to see if they have included anything that I might find interesting, or perhaps comprise an entire mechanice (or even system) that I may like to use at some stage. The development of knowledge in every field of endeavour is about taking the fundamental principles, tried and true aspects, and exploring them in more depth, adding elements from here and there and perhaps even a novel idea or discovery or two to create a 'new' whole. It just drives me mad that there is no doffing, no recognition, no simple acknowledgement of what has gone before.

References

Kriegsspiel, a website dedicated to Kriegsspiel run by a "group of UK based Kriegsspielers, who meet a number of times a year at Little Gaddesdon, Hertfordshire, UK" Link to home page.

B. von Reisswitz B (1824) Kriegsspiel. Available to purchase as ''Kriegsspiel 1824' as a pdf from TooFatLardies.

Wells, HG (1913) Little wars : a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girls who like boys' games and books. London : Frank Palmer. Available on archive.org.

18 comments:

  1. If you're interested in the hostory of wargaming, definitely check out the "History of Wargaming" project by John Curry. He has republished many of the old rulesets. W.r.t. (free) Kriegsspiel, esp the following is very very interesting, even more so than von Reissewitz: http://www.wargaming.co/recreation/details/verdy.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of them but never read them. Interesting James, as there appears to be far more detail in them than I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a read if only to be aware of what it actually was/is and to marvel at the source of so many of the later ideas.

      Delete
  3. You might also want to check out this thread on Boardgamegeek: discoveries of old wargames (incl kriegsspiel) are regularly posted there. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1195045/old-wargameskriegsspiels/page/1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I checked out the wargaming.co site after a similar comment from you to a post on Jennifer's 'Librarian Gamer' blog. The Kriegsspiel site that I linked to has a lot of information about the later Prussian versions, Du Vernois' adaptation and also the American version. There is also a copy of the English army version, which, together with the 1828 supplement is part of the 'package' that I am reading/studying and considering using/adapting for my purposes.
      Regards, James

      Delete
    2. It's also one of the blogs/sites that I follow, along with your own blog!

      Delete
  4. I bought the Leeson translation back in the late 80s I think when it was published. I think I saw it mentioned or advertised in MW or WI. It’s a long time since I read it.

    I tended to regard it as a source for information about the metrics, but found it too granular to be able to play battles at the level that I wanted to. And even then simply scaling moves up to say 30 minutes meant very big tabletop moves (3000 paces or 2km, whilst the other side did nothing). Whilst the March rates, frontages etc might have been realistic, the fire effects may have been exaggerated if they used the Prussian test data from firing at target sheets and targets, which were in idealised conditions.

    When they were first produced though they must have been revolutionary and gave us the concept of standard moves and ranges. So yes, we all owe it a debt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had the rules for many years - in a nice hardback book - and the bespoke set of dice and measures but never actually used them for a game. As nundanket says it's too granular for a hobby 'game' and best suited to maps and counters so loses the aesthetic I like so much.
    That said with enough helpers (staff) it would be ideal for a closed game at a club where you could set up three tables along the style of Channel 4's short-lived 'Game of War' series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James,
    I am really glad you found the rules useful. I think very (very) small actions could be gamed on table by telescoping from the map scale to the ground scale made necessary by the physical footprint of the figures.

    So much of the mechanics does what I want in a game. Time to reinvent the wheel. And I have in some small way added to your fun on the table.
    Joe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have written your second paragraph; perhaps we are related?!
      It's where I have come to with wargaming. So many of the commercial sets leave me cold, bored, enthused, disappointed or some combination of the four. I'm not having a go or trying to be 'high and mighty' it's just that the aims and wishes of what I want to get out of the hobby differ from the majority for whom a quick, enjoyable, battle of wits over a friendly tabletop (or perhaps a competitive/competition one) over two or three hours is the cat's guts.
      Regards, James

      Delete
  7. 'Nundanket' and Rob,
    Not surprised that you both looked at them yonks ago. I said that I was very late to this! :)
    The detail does not put me off as I am in the business of striving for a solo historical simulation that will add to my exploration of the history. (A bit like "Lost Battles" for ancients—another book that I came to late). I'm thinking about this more as I re-read and look more at the detail, and will ramble on about this in my next post.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  8. JamesF, if you're looking for historical simulation these are probably the set you want. The explicit sending of orders / reports via couriers combined with closed play (no exploiting a God's eye view of the table) will be required to add the finishing touch to the rules which will do most of the rest.
    I would like to read about your simulations if ever do use these rules.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, I have been very well aware of these rules in general terms for many years, almost from the beginning, but ignorant as to the details. It may well be worth getting the pdf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed such a gaping hole in my knowledge and understanding. Especially since it's 'Napoleonics first' for me.

      Delete
  10. Nice write up James - I would imagine most historical gamers "of a certain age" would be aware of Kreigsspiel but like you, my awareness was (and is) pretty vague. Its interesting to read your review and pick up on the excitement it has generated in you! I will be interested to see how you translate this burst of inspiration into practical use on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Excitement' is dead right Keith. I'm seeing them more and more as forming the basis of what I want to do/develop/adapt.

      Delete
  11. Well done for exploring the kriegsspiel rules. As you say, there is always something we can learn. The best place to look for information on the history of wargaming is Matt Caffrey's book 'on wargaming' which is a free ebook https://digital-commons.usnwc.edu/newport-papers/43/ and John Curry's history project (mentioned above) has an extensive set of historical rule sets, many of which are 'official' military rule sets of the past.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Todd for that link to Caffrey's book, which I have duly downloaded.
      I already know of John Curry's site (noted when I replied to Phil Dutré's second comment). I became aware of it several years ago, but prior to my current interest in using Kriegsspiel (and interest in using wargames with students). I went back a bit further when I found a paper by Jorit Wintjes (subject of a later post in this series).
      Phil Sabin's website is also really useful (not to mention his wonderful book 'Lost Battles')—but you already know all about that, of course.
      Your own blog/siteis also really interesting, I might add—something that you humbly did not mention!
      I have 'followed' your blog, but also downloaded a couple of your papers, which look really interesting! Thanks.

      Delete